Saturday, February 5, 2011

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

The History
Six years ago, Cheryl Haggard and her husband had to make a decision that no parent should ever have to make; on his sixth day of life, remove her son from life support. As little Maddox passed away in his mother's loving arms, photographer Sandy Puc was there to capture and create those few and precious moments the Haggard family had with their son and brother.

To read Cheryl and Sandy's story, click on the link below (and then come back).

Our Beginnings

Now, almost six years later, more than 7,000 photographers in the United States and 25 countries are providing professional portraiture to families whose infants will not come home from the hospital.

I stumbled across the website in the winter of 2006. After wiping the tears away, I knew that this was something that I was called to do.....my ministry. I submitted my application, was approved a few weeks later, and in May of 2006, walked into my first session at the hospital.

Many sessions later, I continue to work with the hospitals and families that request our services. NILMDTS has changed the way I live my life and parent my own children. On the days when I think the girls are going to "drive me crazy", I remind myself of the families who would give anything to have their three year old throwing a temper tantrum in the grocery store.

The Search
Three years ago, the International Charity Model Search was born! The purpose was two-fold. First to find North America's Cutest Kid and lavish the family with awesome prizes. Secondly, the goal was to raise money for Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep.

This is our biggest fundraiser of the year that allows us to continue funding our photographer training and retention program! Through photographer training and retention we are able to continue to provide grieving families with the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep gift, free of charge!

Round 1
Contestant portraits are uploaded to an on-line gallery. Friends and family then go to the gallery and vote for their Cutest Kid. Every vote is $1.00 (no limit) with all proceeds going to NILMDTS. The top 5 from each region (for a total of 50) will then move on to Round 2.

Round 2
Professional photographers in the industry will determine the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners!

The Prizes
1st-The Grand Prize winning child will win a travel package valued at $2500, a $2500 savings bond, and a $100 gift card to Target, Nikon Cool Pix point and shoot digital camera

2nd- $500 Savings Bond, and a $100 gift card to Target, Nikon Cool Pix point and shoot digital camera

3rd-$500 Savings Bond, and a $100 gift card to Target, Nikon Cool Pix point and shoot digital camera

First, Second, and Third Place winners will also be featured in Professional Photographer Magazine in a Summer 2011 issue.

How Can You Help?

1. Enter your child in the contest! There is still time!!!

2. Vote! At the end of March, after my last model has been posted, I will introduce you to all those who participated! I'll also provide you with their links so you may vote!

Call 309.269.5013 for more information!

I appreciate all of you who have supported the mission of NILMDTS and look forward to sharing the 2011 models with you!

Blessings,

Lisa

No comments: